Search for a popular article (magazine or newspaper) about an issue or event related to your field of interest.
Write an essay in which you complete all of the following:
- Part 1 – Describe a current event or issue related to your field (1–2 paragraphs).
- Describe the current event or issue objectively. What is the main issue?
- Part 2 – Examine this event or issue from the three sociological perspectives: functionalist, conflict, and symbolic interactionist.
- Address all three theories in your essay.
- Use at least two scholarly sources when explaining your theories.
- Examine how each perspective might explain or understand this event or issue.
- Use the article you’ve chosen to support your use of the perspectives and to provide examples to highlight theoretical ideas.
- It is expected that you use the vocabulary and concepts for each theory (for example, manifest and latent functions when discussing the functionalist perspective).