Think about a popular TV show that you watch that focuses on small-group dynamics. Use a popular TV drama/comedy focused on the workplace. Please note the importance of “focused on the workplace.” The Office provides a lot of good examples. (Season 2 episode 21 Conflict resolution)
Write, individually (on your own.), a one-page reaction to the small-group dynamics demonstrated in the show. From a communication perspective, what went wrong? How could the members have handled the situation differently?
Analyze the small-group dynamics demonstrated in SELECTED TV SHOW by considering the following:
- The scope and functions of small groups within the organization featured on the show, such as idea generation, event planning, process or creation, evaluation, and quality control
- The effectiveness of each member’s communication styles. What are the opportunities for improvement?
- The type of leadership within the small group, such as fixed, rotational, or ad hoc
- How the group leader and members communicate during group meetings
- Communication obstacles, such as groupthink tendencies, credibility issues, and insufficient listening
Refer to this week’s readings to inform your analysis.
Create a group training presentation based on the communication deficiencies displayed in the SELECTED TV SHOW. Your training plan may be in the format of your choice. This is the graded portion of the assignment.
- You may choose a 15- to 18-slide Microsoft® PowerPoint® presentation with speaker notes, or an equivalent multimedia program or technology application, such as video, audio, or web conferencing software.
Include the following in your group training presentation (clearly label each discussion prompt):
- The communication skills the group must implement to become more effective
- The roles each member must adopt to become more effective
- The leadership skills the manager must demonstrate to become more effective
- Appropriate managerial actions to mitigate communication obstacles
- Conflict management strategies to encourage positive outcomes (I am looking for specific conflict management strategies)