Over the past 40 years, union membership has declined, and it continues to do so. Instead, many companies are turning to alternative dispute resolution. We know one of the best union avoidance tactics is good communication and providing job satisfaction for employees.
Create a PowerPoint presentation (with speaker notes) that focuses on unions in the workplace. Address the following concepts in your presentation.
- Identify the factors that have contributed to the reduction in union membership. Be sure to include the rationale you use in your speaker notes.
- Evaluate whether or not the reduction in union membership is a good or bad thing for employees in the United States. Be sure to include the rationale you use in your speaker notes.
- Explain what alternative dispute resolution involves, and identify the pros and cons from the perspective of the employee and the pros and cons from the perspective of the employer. Remember, you want to include the bulk of your explanation in the speaker notes, not on the slide.
- Describe a situation where employees or managers would want to use some form of alternative dispute resolution such as mediation or arbitration as opposed to direct negotiation or litigation to resolve disputes. Be sure to include the rationale you use in your speaker notes.
- Explain how each of the seven determinants of job satisfaction (individual personality, the work itself, compensation, growth and upward mobility, coworkers, management, and communication) help to create the type of environment where employees experience job satisfaction. Remember, you want to include the bulk of your explanation in the speaker notes, not on the slide.
include an introduction and conclusion to presentation. Include two images or graphics in presentation.
Your PowerPoint presentation must be eight slides in length, not counting the title or reference slides.