Prior to beginning work on this discussion Part 1,
- Read Chapter 3 in Applied Psychology in Talent Management.
- View the Minimizing the Cost of Employee Turnover (Links to an external site.)
Keeping in mind the utility theory and optimizing staffing outcome strategies discussed in Chapter 3 of the course textbook, discuss the pros and cons of using existing applicant pools (“making”) or investing in recruitment efforts (“buying”) to expand applicant pools.
- Which strategies are most costly?
- Which might maximize staffing outcomes and why?
- Finally, apply these concepts to the real world. Browse various recruiting websites (e.g., Monster.com, LinkedIn) and describe the ways organizations attempt to entice What are the similarities? In what ways do they try to differentiate themselves.
- Prior to beginning work on this discussion Part 2,
- Read Chapters 4 and 5 in Applied Psychology in Talent Management.
- Watch the Week 2 Discussion 2 video above with Brenda Forde, the Program Chair of MBA.
Define and discuss the purpose of a performance management system. What are some of the benefits and challenges of a performance management system? Next, discuss how you have seen a performance management system working at a current or former employer or research a company online, noting the impact on employee behavior. Your initial response should be a minimum of 400 words for each part. Graduate school students learn to assess the perspectives of several scholars. Support your response with at least one scholarly resource in addition to the text.