To complete this assignment, you will need to observe the work processes at an operating food service facility. Examples of possible facilities include a restaurant, a catered event, food truck, a DFAC, or military field unit. For the task, you will need to either be able to observe the area or ask questions of managers or supervisors. You will need to observe how well the design reflects the principles of flexibility/modularity, simplicity, flow, ease of sanitation, ease of supervision, and efficiency.
If unable to obtain permission, use the library and following link to Food service Equipment and Supplies magazine website to complete the writing.
In your writing, use your visit or website research to address the following;
1. Why is human engineering important in food service facilities design?
2. What is likely to happen if the design has poor human engineering?
3. What is the design principle of flow and what would be included when considering the financial cost of violating the design principle of flow?
4. What would you identify as strengths and weaknesses in relation to human engineering and flow?
If making a site visit, it is suggested that you organize your observation by “following the food” through the operation: starting with receiving, through storage, pre-preparation, final preparation, service, and ware washing (skip dining). Look for instances where the design principles are fulfilled and instances where they are violated. If permissible on site, you may find it helpful to talk to employees about their work. Ask them to show you what they do in a step-by-step process. Look for points where they have to bend over, walk off to find a needed utensil, or reach on their tip-toes. Also, observe the immediate work area – are things where they need to be?
NOTE: You do not need to be on site for hours at a time, the manager or a representative should be able to provide you with a “walk-trough”.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- 4 years ago