Agricultural-Biological-Technology is the future, and a company developing a new “gene” that would make food more nutritious would have a valuable asset if no other company could use their discovery. Make an argument as to why businesses that develop modified organisms should be able to preserve their property rights by patenting such organisms.
Your argument might include the purpose of a patent being designed to protect the payoffs from investments in this sort of research and development. Then, make a counterargument as to why such organisms should not be allowed a patent. While you should present both sides, you should clearly choose a position for or against and attempt to persuade the reader to adopt your position. Actively incorporate and consider issues related to sustainability (societal, economic, and environmental), as well.
Written Assignment Requirements
Submit a written paper which is 3-4 pages in length exclusive of the reference page. The paper should cite sources to support your ideas. Be sure to review the assessment criteria below before beginning your paper. Cite any reference(s) you use in the preparation of your essay using proper APA format.
Written Assignment Peer Assessment Rubric
- states legitimate arguments in favor of the position
- states legitimate counterarguments against the position
- persuades the reader to take the writer’s position
- uses acceptable sources (including laws, legal theories, academic articles, etc.) to support the arguments, particularly the writer’s position. All sources are cited in APA format.
- demonstrates a high quality of writing, including the use of clear and concise language