Benchmark – Nursing Process: Approach to Care
The nursing process is a tool that puts knowledge into practice. By utilizing this systematic problem-solving method, nurses can determine the health care needs of an individual and provide personalized care.
Write a paper (1,750-2,000 words) on cancer and approach to care based on the utilization of the nursing process. Include the following in your paper:
1. Describe the diagnosis and staging of cancer.
2. Describe at least three complications of cancer, the side effects of treatment, and methods to lessen physical and psychological effects.
3. Discuss what factors contribute to the yearly incidence and mortality rates of various cancers in Americans.
4. Explain how the American Cancer Society (ACS) might provide education and support. What ACS services would you recommend and why?
5. Explain how the nursing process is utilized to provide safe and effective care for cancer patients across the life span. Your explanation should include each of the five phases and demonstrate the delivery of holistic and patient-focused care.
6. Discuss how undergraduate education in liberal arts and science studies contributes to the foundation of nursing knowledge and prepares nurses to work with patients utilizing the nursing process. Consider mathematics, social and physical sciences, and science studies as an interdisciplinary research area.
You are required to cite to a minimum of four sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
1. Diagnosing and staging of cancer – A detailed description of the diagnosis and staging of cancer presented. The description is informative and well-developed. 15pts
2. Complications of Cancer, Side Effects of Treatment, and Methods to Lessen Physical and Psychological Effects – Three or more complications of cancer are detailed. The side effects of treatment and methods to lessen the physical and psychological effects are thoroughly described. 15pts
3. Factors Contributing to Incident and Mortality Rates of Various Cancers in Americans – The discussion is accurate, detailed, and presents all significant factors contributing to the yearly incidence and mortality rates of various cancers in Americans. Strong rationale and evidence support the discussion. 15pts.
4. American Cancer Society – A detailed explanation for how the ACS might provide education and support is presented. The role and function of the ACS are clear and informative. ACS services to be recommended are discussed and rationale is provided for the recommendation. 15pts
5. Utilization of Nursing Process Across the Life Span (C3.1) – A well-developed explanation of how the nursing process is utilized to provide safe and effective care for cancer patients across the life span is presented. The explanation clearly describes how the process provides safe and effective care for patients across the life span. Strong rationale or evidence is provided for support. Insight into the nursing process and its utilization to provide safe and effective care for patients across the life span is demonstrated. 15pts.
6. Contribution of Liberal Arts and Science Studies to Nursing Knowledge (C2.1) – A thorough discussion on how undergraduate education in the liberal arts and science studies contributes to the foundation of nursing knowledge and prepares nurses to work with patients utilizing the nursing process is presented. A strong correlation for how undergraduate education contributed to nursing knowledge and prepares nurses to work with patients utilizing the nursing process is clearly established. Insight into the contribution of liberal arts and science studies to nursing practice is demonstrated. 5pts
7. Thesis Development and Purpose – Thesis is comprehensive and contains the essence of the paper. Thesis statement makes the purpose of the paper clear. 5pts
8. Argument Logic and Constructive – Clear and convincing argument presents a persuasive claim in a distinctive and compelling manner. All sources are authoritative. 5pts.
9. Mechanics of Writing (includes spelling, punctuation, grammar, language use) – Writer is clearly in command of standard, written, academic English.5pts
10. Paper Format (use of appropriate style for the major and assignment) – All format elements are correct. 2pts
11. Documentation of Sources (citations, footnotes, references, bibliography, etc., as appropriate to assignment and style) – Sources are completely and correctly documented, as appropriate to assignment and style, and format is free of error. 3pt
Total Percentage 100