- Read chapters XI, and XII, and XIII in the online textbook. Watch the videos and powerpoints that go with each chapter.
- Examine the NCbirths database (attached here). Pick three of the following research questions:
- Is there a relationship between a mother’s age and the birth weight of her child?
- Is there a relationship between whether a mother smokes or not and the birth weight of her child?
- Is the birthweight of babies from white moms different than those from nonwhite moms?
- Is there a relationship between the mother’s weight gain during pregnancy and the birth weight of her child?
- Is there a relationship between the mother’s marital status and the birth weight of her child?
- Is there a relationship between the mother’s age and her marital status?
- Is there a relationship between the father’s age and the mother’s marital status?
- Find two published articles dealing with each of your selected questions. Write a one-paragraph summary of what each article says about your research question.
- Determine the mean, median, mode, standard deviation, and variance as applicable for the variables involved in your study. Provide a graphical analysis for the variables that cannot have numerical statistics calculated.
- Determine the type of test you will use for each of your research questions and the null and alternative hypothesis for each question.
- Conduct the appropriate statistical tests at the .05 significance level.
- Write a short report ( 1 to 2 pages for each research question) that includes the results of your analysis. Present the results and discuss the implications of your findings. Include whatever graphs or statistical output you may have generated in answering these questions along with a short explanation of your analysis. Are your results consistent with the published research on the topic? Why or why not?
Textbook URL: http://www.oercommons.org/courses/online-statistics-an-interactive-multimedia-course-of-study/view